The state of flow, or being “in the zone”, is a state of peak performance. The key to being in the state Flow is Manoeuvre. The attitude to manoeuvre with ease is flexibility and allowing.
The flow state has been described by the world’s greatest thinkers as the most productive and creative state of mind in which to work. In addition, positive psychologists–most notably Dr. Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi, Ph.D.–argue that achieving the flow state on a regular basis is a key component of happiness. That is, by learning how to enter the state of flow you can increase your productivity, be more creative, be more flexible and be happier, all at the same time.
How Does It Feel to Be in the Flow?
These seven points summarize how some people responded that they felt when in the flow state:
- You’re completely involved in what you’re doing: you’re completely focused and concentrated.
- There’s a sense of ecstasy–of being outside of everyday reality.
- There’s a great inner clarity: you know what needs to be done and you get immediate feedback on how well you’re doing.
- You know that the activity is doable, that you have the necessary skills to complete the task successfully.
- You lose your sense of self and all of your worries and concerns drift away.
- You lose track of time and you’re completely focused on the present moment.
- There’s an intrinsic motivation—whatever produces flow becomes it’s own reward.
Did you notice similarities on what Katherine is doing in the gathering? Flow is a basic “ingredient” required to facilitate a soulvana “feast”.
Interestingly enough, the idea of flow came into being as result of research on happiness. Researchers began asking themselves: “What makes us happy?” and “When are we most happy”? As a result of this research psychologists realized that being able to enter the flow state–which is a very enjoyable experience–is a key component of happiness.
The ability to get into flow makes personal peak performances possible. It is a great experience and I would love to hear your own ways of getting in the flow or what you experienced being in the Zone.
Till the next time.